18 sponge fingers
1 1/2 cups strong coffee
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup castor sugar
750g marscapone cheese or 500g marscapone and 250g cream cheese
1/2 cup alcohol (marsala, creme de cacao, baileys, butterscotch schnaps)
Dark chocolate for grating on top
- Whip egg whites until stiff, set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale.
- Add the marscapone/cream cheese and mix well.
- Add the alcohol.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk/marscapone mixture.
- Dip around half of the sponge fingers into coffee to line bottom of a dish.
- Spoon over 1/2 of the marscapone mixture.
- Add another layer of sponge fingers dipped in coffee.
- Spoon over the rest of the marscapone mixture.
- Sprinkle grated dark chocolate over the top and refrigerate for at least 5 hours, preferably overnight.
NOTE: Depending on the type of dish used you might have enough sponge fingers for another layer of sponge fingers, so be sure to reserve enough marscapone for a third layer if it looks like you’re going to have three levels of sponge fingers after you place the first layer down.