6 hot cross buns, sliced in half and buttered.
125g dark chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
Zest of one orange
170g castor sugar
1/4 cup brandy
Vanilla ice-cream (to serve)
- Place sliced, buttered hot cross buns in tin, layering with chocolate chips.
- Place cream vanilla and zest in a saucepan, heat until simmering then remove from heat.
- Beat eggs, sugar and brandy, then pour into the warm cream, stirring.
- Pour evenly over buns and let it soak for at least 30 minutes (can be overnight).
- Bake in oven in a bain marie (or using moisture plus setting) at 170c for 45 minutes or until custard is set.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with vanilla ice-cream.